Save the date! February 1st 2017! More info on venue and times coming soon!
2x JUNO (Canada’s Grammy) nominees and SiriusXM winners Sultans of String are an “energetic and exciting band with talent to burn!” (Maverick Magazine UK). Thrilling audiences with their genre-hopping passport of Celtic reels, flamenco, Gypsy-jazz, Arabic, and Cuban rhythms, fiery violin dances with kinetic guitar, while bass and percussion lay down unstoppable grooves. Throughout, acoustic strings meet with electronic wizardry to create layers and depth of sound. With their new release, Subcontinental Drift (CEN/SONY/Red), they serve up messages of hope and cultural harmony alongside a smorgasbord of ragas, reels and rumbas.Since forming 10 years ago, Sultans of String’s CDs have hit #1 across Canada on Top 10 national radio charts, and received multiple awards and accolades, including 2 JUNOs nominations, 1st place in the ISC (out of 15,000 entries), 2 Canadian Folk Music Awards, plus invitations to perform/record with such luminaries as The Chieftains, David Bromberg, and Ruben Blades.Sultans of String have been criss-crossing North America for the last several years at many taste-making forums such as the legendary jazz club Birdland in NYC, The Lincoln Center, internationally syndicated radio shows Woodsongs and World Café, Koerner Hall (Toronto’s Carnegie Hall). They are touring the US widely and hit the UK for their first full tour this summer.
“Sultans of String are so extraordinary and put on a sensational show—one of my favorite bands on the planet!”
Todd Barkan, Lincoln Center, NY “You get the feeling this is Strunz & Farah or Willie & Lobo or Gypsy Kings taken to the next level of the game, sometimes all at once… a sure bet to notch a JUNO and any other award winning hardware to come its way.“ Midwest Record, Chicago“Chris McKhool and the boys are fantastic!"Bob Ezrin (Producer--Pink Floyd. Kiss)
Nominations and awards
- 2017 USA Billboard World Music Charts – CHRISTMAS CARAVAN CD hits #6
- 2017 JUNO Award Nominees – World Music Album of the Year- SUBCONTINENTAL DRIFT
- 2017 USA Billboard World Music Charts – SUBCONTINENTAL DRIFT CD hits #15
- 2016 Canadian Folk Music Award – World Group of the Year- SUBCONTINENTAL DRIFT
- 2016 Global Music Awards– World Music / Beats
- 2015 JUNO Award Nominees for “Instrumental Album of the Year” – Symphony!
- 2015 International Songwriting Competition (ISC) – Subcontinental Drift
- 2015 Toronto Independent Music Award Winner – World Music
- 2014 SIRIUSXM Independent Music Awards Winner- World Group of the Year
- 2014 IMA Independent Music Award Winner – Instrumental Song – “Josie”
- 2014 IMA Independent Music Vox Pop Award – Music Producer – Symphony! -Chris McKhool (Producer), Rebecca Pellett (Associate Producer)
- 2013 ISC International Songwriting Competition- Instrumental category – “Monti’s Revenge”
- 2013 Folk Music Ontario- Songs of the Heart Winner – Instrumental category – “Monti’s Revenge”
- 2013 Festivals & Events- Performer of The Year
- 2013 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for bandleader Chris McKhool
- 2013 SiriusXM Canadian Indie Awards Nominee for World Group of the Year
- 2012 Canadian Folk Music Awards winners– World Music Group of the Year
- 2012 Canadian Folk Music Awards nominees – Instrumental Group of the Year & Pushing The Boundaries
- 2012 Canadian Folk Music Award nominee- Producer of the Year for Chris McKhool
- 2012 OCFF Songs of the Heart Winner
- 2012 Festivals & Events- Entertainer of The Year
- 2011 Ontario Contact – Artist of the Year
- 2011 International Acoustic Music Awards Finalist – Instrumental
- 2011 Independent Music Award 2x Finalist – Instrumental Album & World Beat Album – Yalla Yalla!
- 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition 2x Finalist- Instrumental & World Music categories
- 2010 JUNO Award Nominees for “Instrumental Album of the Year” – Yalla Yalla!
- 2010 Canadian Independent Music Awards nominees- Favourite World Artist/Group
- 2009 International Songwriting Competition (ISC) First Place Winners – Instrumental
- 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award triple nominee winning Instrumental Group of the Year (also nominated for Ensemble of the Year and
- Pushing the Boundries)
- 2009 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award 2x Winner- Best Toronto World CD & Artist of the Year
- 2008 International Songwriting Competition Winner (ISC) – Instrumental
- 2008 Festivals & Events Ontario- Best Variety Act
- 2008 Canadian Independent Music Awards Finalists- Favourite World Music Band
- 2008 International Independent Music Awards Finalists- Best World Fusion Song
- 2007 Canadian Folk Music Award nominees – Best Instrumentalist Group